Mussels are a nutritious and sustainable seafood. This recipe can also be made with store bought mussels but harvesting them yourself makes them a bit sweeter. Happy Eating
Here is a great article on how to do that.
Wild Mussels need to be cleaned by using a wire brush and scraping off the growth on the outside of the shell. Use scissors to cut off the beard.
- 1-1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 20 whole Basil leaves
- Sort through your mussels and discard any that are broken or open, then remove the beards and scrub the shells with a wire or stiff bristle brush.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook just a few minutes. Add the garlic, but be sure not to burn it, then add the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, stirring.
- Add the white wine and cook until it boils. Once boiling, add the tomatoes and their juice, and bring to a boil again.
- Add the mussels to the liquid, lower the heat slightly, cover the pan and cook until the mussels open, or about 6-8 more minutes.
- Spoon the mussels into a large serving bowl or over pasta, along with the liquid. Discard any mussels that did not open. Enjoy!